Visitors to the East India Club in St James' Square, London, will be pleased to see Haileybury's familiar arms decorating a staircase amongst those of many others. Our connection is deeper than most.
The staircase at the East India Club is London's St James' Square is decorated with, amongst others, the crests of many of Britain's public schools. There, the sharp-eyed OH will spot one more familiar than most: the crossed anchors and winged hearts of our alma mater.
Haileybury's own connection with the East India Company is well known: the school took over the buildings of the East India College at Hailey in 1862 and has never looked back. The crests decorating the staircase reflect the history of the East India Club itself, which over the years amalgamated a variety of other clubs including the Sports Club (1939); the Public Schools Club (1972); the Devonshire Club (1976) and the Eccentric Club in the 1980s.
Recently, Haileybury's own crest on the staircase has been replaced, due to the generosity of Kate Morgan, Alice Morgan and Claire Wharf who are Honorary Members of the Society. Their late father was Rev Philip Morgan (affectionately known as Rev M), himself Haileybury Chaplain (1958-73) and a member of the Society until his death in 2017.
The shield on the staircase was made for us by C H Munday who also supply a wide variety of Haileybury's own Buriana, including some our ties, in addition to plaques featuring the Haileybury crest, one with the Haileybury
surtitle, the other without